Biology the natural science concerned with the study of life and living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, evolution, distribution, and taxonomy. Modern biology is a vast and eclectic field, composed of many branches and subdisciplines. However, despite its broad scope, there are certain general and unifying concepts within it that govern all study and research, consolidating it into single, coherent fields.
- biochemistry examines the rudimentary chemistry of life;
- molecular biology studies the complex interactions among biological molecules;
- botany studies the biology of plants;
- cellular biology examines the basic building-block of all life, the cell;
- physiology examines the physical and chemical functions of tissues, organs, and organ systems of an organism;
- evolutionary biology examines the processes that produced the diversity of life;
- ecology examines how organisms interact in their environment.